Written by Ritu Agarwal, Holistic Nutritionist
This spread is great on crackers or as a dip with rice chips, on pasta, or to spice up your salads! Takes about 20 minutes to whip up this delicious and healthy pesto! Great source of antioxidants, bioflavanoids, selenium, fiber, vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C, Magnesium, and many detoxifying compounds.
- 1 bunch Swiss Chard
- 1/2 Lemon (juice of)
- 1/2 cup Sunflower Seeds
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- Handful of Garlic Scapes
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Remove stems and veins from chard and wash.
- Blanch the chard in hot water for about 30 seconds.
- Remove and cool in bowl of ice cold water, then squeeze out water and put in food processor bowl.
- Chop garlic scapes and add to food processor, along with sunflower seeds, maple syrup, oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Puree in food processor until desired consistency.
Garlic scapes are cut off the tops of garlic in early summer so that bulbs can fully form. Conserve local food energy by using these delicious bits, rather than wasting or composting them.
Note: The picture above was taken from: http://jeanetteshealthyliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Garlic-Scape-Cilantro-Swiss-Chard-Square1.jpg